Sunday, May 19, 2013

Macro Photography...Kenko Extension Tubes

I was off on Friday so I packed up my camera with my new extension tubes and off I went to Duke Gardens.  I decided to use the 36mm extension tube on my quest for pictures today.  Before I get started I looked on line to see what others had to say and here is what Thom had to say about extension tubes...
"Extension tubes. Basically what the name implies: a hollow tube that fits between the camera and lens. This is similar to allowing the lens to focus further forward (extend, thus the name). I'll cut to the chase: just get the three-piece Kenko set (12, 20, 36), or just the smallest one (12mm). While no longer dirt cheap, the Kenkos are the only tubes that do a decent job of bringing the lens data to the camera."
Here are a few of my shots....

























I liked several of the shots I was able to get with extension tube.  My camera did overheat though and I had to give it breaks.  I think this was due to the fact that I had it on auto focus and it was working very had to get a crisp shot.  If and when I learn to work with the manual setting I think that will be better for my camera and probably my shots. 
I am used to my P510 which is extremely versatile, I can quickly switch from macro to zoom without lens changes.  There were several times I wanted to take distance shot of the gardens but that would require removal of the tubes.  That being said I could never get the close up shots with the P510 that I got on my D3200 with the extension tubes.
I think I will get a shoulder bag and carry my P510 along when I go out shooting with the D3200.
Some qutoes from Digital Photography School
"Extension is the term used to describe the distance that the front element of your lens can be moved forwards. The further forward the element, the closer your lens can focus to your subject.
Extension tubes work by increasing the extension of your lenses. An extension tube is a hollow, light-tight tube that fits between your lens and your camera mount. It moves your lens further from the camera, and the front element closer to the subject. The closer you can focus, the more magnification you get."
Depth-of-field is very narrow this close up. Don’t be afraid to raise your ISO in order to get a small enough aperture to give you adequate depth-of-field. If your subject is still, you can use a tripod – this will let you use a low ISO to maximise image quality and eliminate camera shake.
If you are hand-holding the camera, you may need to use a faster shutter speed than normal to obtain a sharp image. The extra magnification also magnifies camera shake as well as the subject. Shutter speeds of 1/250 second or more are ideal."

When I got home I decided to take a few more shots using the other extension tubes.  I don't recall which one I used when but here are a few more shots.
























I had a fun time working with the extension tubes.  Yes they are a pain at times but all in all they give you the flexibility to take some great macro shots at a much lower price then if I had bought a macro lens.  All in all worth the $200 investment.
Get out and take some pictures!
Enjoy Your World:-)

4 comments:

  1. Amazing photos...I love macro photography. I may have to look into a D3200.

    CHD Photography Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I have much more expensive DSLR camera and lens and I can't do what you did. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Shots here, excellent work

    ReplyDelete