Monday Morning Motivation

“He has also set  eternity in the hearts of men.” 
(Ecclesiastes 3:11 NIV)


I guess the thing that I have had on my mind, based on the conversation at church yesterday, is the natural desire we have for God or a higher power in our lives.  In Sunday School they were talking about this concept,  how this desire, or hunger  is found across all cultural lines.....We all have a natural lean toward a higher power, something beyond us....
I love CS Lewis and I searched the web to find a quote that was mentioned in class today..Found it:-)

 “Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.”       CS Lewis
Last night I was reading about the struggles of the American Indian in National Geographic only to find a quote that fits into this discussion
"Out of the Indian approach to existence there came a great freedom, 
an intense and absorbing love for nature....enriching faith in a Supreme Power, 
and principles of truth, honesty, generosity, equity, and brotherhood....."
Luther Standing Bear (1868-1939)
I like this one too....
 "Our hearts are unquieted until they find their rest in Thee".
 Augustine

Thank you Lord for this natural desire, need,  for you in our lives.  I am glad that as Augustine wrote that we can find our rest in you.
Happy Monday Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments

  1. Interesting topic Kathy. I read a good book that contrasts these ideas called "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. He makes a compelling case in a nice way that much of our "natural" tendency for God is a byproduct of many different factors, including social evolution. You know I love to talk about these things. :)

    http://www.michaelshermer.com/the-believing-brain/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Recipe Review...."Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread" from Southern Living

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York