Recipe Review.."Stovetop Chicken Pie" from Southern Living Magazine
Stove Top Chicken Pie
- 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits (I used Grands Jr, in the tube)
- 1 small sweet onion, diced (I used 1/2 onion)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms (Joe does not like mushrooms so I left them out)
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (bought Perdue Short Cuts, two packs)
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken soup with herbs)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (chicken broth with sodium:-)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 (8-oz.) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cubed (Used the full fat cream cheese, who ever heard of low fat cream cheese:-)
- 1/2 (0.7-oz.) envelope Italian dressing mix, about 2 tsp. (Didn't use because of the herbs in the soup)
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
1. Bake biscuits according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Stir in peas, and cook 2 minutes. Spoon chicken mixture over hot split biscuits.
I gathered my ingredients...
Of course I had to add something not on the list. I added some black pepper and a bit of Tabasco...