Recipe Review..."King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese" Southern Living Magazine Jan. 2012
I saw the picture, on the front of the Jan 2012 Southern Living Magazine, of the Mac and Cheese Recipe made in a cast iron skillet and knew I had to give it a try. I had just gotten a new pan for Christmas and this looked much better then the first recipe I tried in my new skillet. Looked like lots of cheese so how could it taste bad right?:-) I gathered the ingredients...
1/2 (16-oz.) package cellentani pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (i used a larger can)
- 1 (8-oz.) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheeseI studied the instructions...
Saute the onions and greenpepper in butter.....smells so good.......water is ready for the pasta...
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and prepared cheese product; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in chicken, next 4 ingredients, and hot cooked pasta until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sounds easy so here goes....
...cheese and diced tomatoes......Yum, looks so good together...
..need to sprinkle with cheddarcheese and pop in the oven.....finished product...
- ..not much left...
So what would I rate this recipe on a scale of 1-10? I really liked it. I would have to give it an 8.5. I would make it again. Joe and Erica seemed to enjoy it. Made it last night for dinner and we had the left overs for lunch. Not a drop left:-) If you like cheese you will like this recipe. I suggest you give it a try.Happy Cooking Everyone.Enjoy Your World:-)