Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recipe Review...."Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread" from Southern Living

My Mom used to make the most amazing Banana Nut Bread.  Moist and yummy.  Sadly I do not have her recipe.  Over the years I have tried to find one that was equal but have not been 100% successful.  I did find a close second though.  Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living.  I will not give it a 10 on my cooking scale but we have made it a lot and it never goes to waste so I will give it an 8.5/10 on my scale.  Its very good:-)
I gathered my ingredients.....
Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour3 eggs, beaten
3/4 teaspoon salt1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking soda2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups sugar8 ounce can pineapple, crushed and drained
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
Directions:

  1. Combine first five ingredients; stir in nuts.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
  3. Spoon batter into two greased and floured 8 1/2 x 41/2 x 3 loaf pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
  5. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool on wire rack.

No I did not put wine in the bread, but the bottles looked nice in the pic:-) 


Wet and dry ingredients... 

Very pretty! 
If you like bananas and nuts I suggest you give this easy bread recipe a try.
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

4 comments:

  1. Kathiey, Thanks for posting this. I am visiting my daughter and didn't bring this receipe with me. I cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and it's not so sweet and we really like it better. I'm going to be baking it today since I was able to find it on your blog. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! my granmothers recipe is very close from this and from southern living 1979! It is our def FAVORITE!!
      I misplaced it though. Thanks for posting. God Bless!!

      Delete
  2. I have been using this recipe for a 30 years and have passed it on to so many people. This recipe is right from the book, but I made a few changes.
    I use a 3/4 cup oil instead of a cup, and increased the pineapple to a 20 oz can, drained well. It won't be so oily and heavy, and the extra pineapple doesn't make a difference. Besides, the larger cans are always on sale. I add the extra juice to a Jello recipe or to my orange juice container. I haven't come across any better tasting bread. This is 10!!!!

    ReplyDelete