Kathiey's Recipe Review...."Fresh Applesauce" Southern Living Magazine Sept. 2011

Several weeks ago my cooking group The Food, Friendship, and Fabulous Fun Cooking Club had its first official cooking and eating event.  I couldn't wait.  We had all selected recipes to make from Southern Living Magazine the Sept 2011 edition.  I had selected two recipes,  ....a Broccoli, Grape and Pasta  Salad and the Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake found on the cover.  We gathered, food in hand, at Carol's house.   Everything looked great.  So much to sample and so much to enjoy.   I decided to select one recipe from the dozens I had tried that night to make at home for Joe and Erica.  Everything was so good it was hard to choose but I decided to make the Fresh Applesauce....
 ...before I get started let me share our enjoyable evening of great food and new friends....
Carol had 2 tables set and ready.  They were both lovely...
 Below you find an interesting addition to the evening.  Dr. B's wife made a batch of adorable little chocolate mice for our office.  Little did she know it was cooking Meetup day.  I took one along to share with the group.  They were all impressed.  I took a taste..Smooth Chocolatey Goodness:-)
 So much amazing food....
 Desserts.....
 There are some great cooks in this group...I have a lot to learn!
 Digging in....
 Cooking buddies....


 Time to make the applesauce....I gathered my ingredients...
Just apples, sugar and a lemon....easy.
 I studied the recipe..."Fresh Applesauce"

Ingredients

  • 12 large apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (6 1/2 lb.)
  • 1 cup sugar (I added just a touch more sugar & a couple sprinkles of cinnamon:-)
  • 1/2 lemon, sliced 
  • Preparation
  • Bring all ingredients to a light boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, 25 to 30 minutes or until apples are tender and juices thicken. Remove and discard lemon slices. Serve warm, or let cool to room temperature (about 2 hours). Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
  • I cored and peeled the apples mixed in the sugar and lemon slice and put it on the stove...


 Warm and tasty applesauce.  Joe loved it.
This month our club is cooking from a site called The Pioneer Woman.  I will be making a Caprese Salad (all new to me?) and The Best Baked Beans Ever (I don't know, my Mom's were pretty good:-)
I am looking forward my cooking adventure...
Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York