Friday, July 29, 2011

Exploring Kathiey's Local World. "Orange County ASPCA" Chapel Hill

We are two households with 4 dogs between us.  They have added so much to our lives.  Let me introduce you...
This is Josh with Toby
and Steph with her Capt Morgan....









Erica with Roxy....


















Here I am with my Brodie:-)



Joe and Brodie...














Of all of our dogs only one is a blue blood and that is Capt Morgan and he is wonderful....and he knows it:-)  The rest of our doggie family are very unique in breed and personality.  One of a kind.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anything similar in looks

These 2 have become best buds.
They were both adopted from the ASPCA of Orange County




Erica and I decide to take a drive to Chapel Hill to revisit the place where we found our puppies.  We ran by Target and bought a case of canned dog food to donate and off we went...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant
"Until one has loved an animal,  a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." 
~ Jean Cocteau

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams
"...he will be our friend for always and always and always." ~ Rudyard Kipling
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~ Roger Caras
Visiting the shelter is always a bit bitter sweet.  It is a great place where they really care for the animals that have come their way.  They strive to find the dogs and cats the best home possible for them.  I believe they have a heart for the animals.  The bitter part is knowing some will not find a home and some have been in awful situations.  Some of the dogs seem so sad.  
I know when we first met Roxy in the shelter she would not even look at us.  She was terrified.  She does still have issues with other dogs, (not our family dogs).  We think she may have been in a bait dog situation at some point because when we first met her she had scars and a torn ear.  She has adapted well in our home and is a joy.  We just try to keep her out of situations that continue to make her nervous.  
When we first met Brodie in the shelter he too seemed sad.  He has been a joy in my life.  Never has anyone been so glad to see me or make me feel so important:-)  I love Brod!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." 
~ Josh Billings
Enjoy Your World and your pet if you have one!
If you are thinking of getting a dog or cat check out your local shelter.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post with your pets as the stars of the show. I loved the pictures and the tour. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kathiey.
    All my felines were adopted from either the shelter or a foster situation (Independent Animal Rescue).
    I volunteered at the Durham shelter for 2 years and like you said - bittersweet.
    The dogs could make me cry in an instant.
    Those big ole pit bulls with scars and war wounds under court quarantine for a dog fighting case always broke my heart. It's not their fault.
    And the kitten explosion during "kitten season" (now) - so cute - but you knew the older, quieter cats were going to lose out if there was an issue of space (people usually want kittens).

    Spay and neuter! Adopt a shelter pet - they'll love you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete