Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recipe Review..."Maple Glazed Chicken with Roasted Country Vegetables"

I love to try new recipes.  I love to read cooking magazines and watch food TV.  Well a couple of weeks ago I was watching Semi-homemade with Sandra Lee and decided to give one of her recipes a try.  Looked really yummy on big screen, but could I do this recipe justice.....hmmmm?...lets find out....I studied the recipe...

Maple Glazed Chicken with Roasted Country Vegetables

by Sandra Lee/Semi Homemade Cooking
Ingredients

Vegetables:

  • 2 tablespoons honey mustard chicken glaze seasoning (recommended: McCormick) (Sadly I could not find this glaze so I used Honey Teriyaki seasoning, sounded good??)
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound baby carrots
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
  • 1 pound red baby potatoes, halved

Chicken:

  • 1 (3 1/2 to 4 1/2-pound) chicken, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning (recommended: McCormick Perfect Pinch) (I found this in the spice section and really liked it)

Glaze:

  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the vegetables: In a small bowl, whisk together the seasoning, mustard, oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss with the vegetables and spread in a layer on the bottom of a roasting pan.
(I used a bit more oil and also more salt and course ground black pepper:-)
For the chicken: Season the chicken with the chicken seasoning. Place the chicken on the vegetables in the roasting pan. Roast until golden and an instant-read thermometer registers 150 degrees F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
For the glaze: While the chicken is roasting, whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
When the chicken is nearly cooked through, completely coat the outside with the glaze using a pastry brush. Pour any remaining glaze over the vegetables. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 175 degrees F when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh, an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

.... I gathered my ingredients..

Brussels sprouts?  I have never tried them.  Someone at work said they taste like little cabbages. 
Put everything in the roasting pan and placed it in the oven to roast....

Veggies look good, can't wait to try the brussels sprouts..
Chicken looked good..... 
Dinner is ready.....Come and get it:-)
Erica, Joe and I enjoyed the meal.  The veggies were really good and the chicken moist and flavorful.
What about the Brussels Sprouts?  Erica and I really liked them, they did taste like little cabbages.
I don't think Joe tried them although he loves cabbage.  So what would I give this meal on my cooking 
scale?  I would say an 8.5.  I would make it again.
Happy Cooking Everyone
Enjoy your world:-)

4 comments:

  1. Well Kathiey if it came from Sandra it has to be good and your pictures sold me. I'll be trying it very soon. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saving this wonderful recipe to make when I start working on the next book. It will be perfect! I love the maple glaze--and I'm swooning to think of the vegetables. XX00

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful looking chicken! Ingredients sound so tasty!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never roasted a whole chicken but I would love to try this - it looks so good!

    Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete