Kathieys Recipe Review ...."Slow-Cooker Hearty Beef Stew" by Cook's Country

My new favorite cooking magazine is Cooks Country.  Great recipes and step by step instructions.  One recipe that I found and just had to try was Slow-Cooker Hearty Beef Stew.  Looked amazing, I gathered my ingredients.....

Made the "savory base"
as instructed....
Browned the meat...
Added the base, the meat
and the 2 bay leaves to the
crock-pot....
Preped my veggies...
Wrapped them in foil...
Stirred the tapioca into the liquids,
this is the thickener...
Placed the veggie foil
packet on top.  Put the
lid on and placed it on
"high"
Set the table and waited
7 hours...
Removed the foil pack &
added the cooked veggies
and peas to the mix.
There you have it..
"Hearty Beef Stew"
Looks good:-)


















Slow-Cooker Hearty Beef Stew (serves 6 - 8)
5 pounds  boneless beef chuck-eye roast , cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces

1/4 cup  vegetable oil divided 
Salt and pepper to taste
4 onions , chopped fine (I added 1 cup)
1 (6-ounce) can  tomato paste 
2 cups beef or chicken broth 
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 bay leaves 
1 pound  carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (I added 1 1/2 cups)
1 pound  parsnips , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (we did not add parsnips)
1 pound  red potatoes , scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces (added 1 1/2 cups )
1 1/2 teaspoons  minced fresh thyme 
2 tablespoons  Minute tapioca 
2 cups  frozen peas , thawed (Joe said to add more next time:-)
1. BROWN MEAT Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of beef until well browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and repeat with additional 1 tablespoon oil and remaining beef.
2. BROWN ONIONS Add onions, 1 tablespoon oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt to now-empty skillet and cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until paste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth, soy sauce, and bay leaves and bring to boil. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. WRAP VEGETABLES Toss carrots, parsnips, potatoes, remaining oil, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Place vegetables on one side of large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Fold foil over vegetables to form packet that will fit in slow cooker; crimp edges to seal. Stir tapioca into slow cooker; set vegetable packet on top of beef.
4. SLOW COOK Cover and cook on high until beef is tender, 6 to 7 hours (or cook on low 10 to 11 hours). Discard bay leaves and transfer vegetable packet to bowl. Carefully open packet (watch for steam) and return vegetables and any accumulated juices to slow cooker. Stir in remaining thyme and peas, cover, and let stand until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

So what did I rate this recipe on my cooking scale.  I would give it an 8/10.  I did not give it a 10 because...
*Prep time was long, about an hour.
*Joe and I both added a lot of salt and pepper
*It was a bit dry.  I would make it again, but I would add more liquid to the mix.
The next night we had left overs.  I added some more chicken broth and it tasted better then the first night.  All in all it was great recipe.  
Happy cooking everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)

Comments

  1. I love a good beef stew and yours looks really good. I think I'll save it to try and definitely take your tips to heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get the magazine and watch both of their show on TV. Am sure this will be awesome, especially with it being so cold outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely recipe. I'm sure it is delicious. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Recipe Review...."Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread" from Southern Living

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York