Friday, December 10, 2010

Guest Bedroom...Post #2....The Planning Stage continues:-)..

I find myself constantly thinking about paint colors for our guest room.  My goal is to have the paint selected and ready the first of the year so I can get started on this new project.  I was talking with my good friend Melissa and she asked the question...."Do you want to go warm or cool with you paint color?".  I had no answer for her because I had no idea.  Little did she know that she had spurred me on to my next line of paint color research.
First I scoured my dream room photos and then went on line looking for photos with colors that would compliment any bedding or design elements I would decide put in my room.  And also looking for colors that would contrast the white crown molding I plan to put in the room as well.














Now to determine if I want a "warm" or "cool" color in my room.  I found a site, Buzzle.com,  that described the color differentiation.  Here is what they had to say.......

Warm Bedroom Color Schemes
Yellow, red, and orange are some very common warm and exciting colors to choose from that give the room a bright and gratifying appearance. A good assortment of such warm colors would certainly add up to the bedroom's beauty. However, you need to make sure that you make use of fainter or lighter shades of such colors. If you utilize darker and brighter shades, the bedroom would appear excessively overwhelming. It is recommended not to use warm colors in case of small bedrooms, as they will give an impression of the room being smaller. However, some people use darker color schemes for their bedroom, depending on their customized requirements.
Cool Bedroom Color Schemes
Violet, green, and blue are considered as cool colors, and as the name pictures, these colors render a tranquil appearance when applied on the walls. A majority of the people prefer to employ these types of colors as they make the room appear calm and peaceful. With contrast to the application of warm colors in small-sized bedrooms, cool colors are used for making the room appear larger. Any of or a mix of these colors used as a bedroom color theme, makes the room inviting and airier.
Muffled Bedroom Color Schemes
Muffled colors are those whose luminance is subdued by utilizing a complementary color, usually 'gray'. Accents of such colors render a solacing and a cool effect to the bedroom, which is why they are favored by a substantial amount of people. The main advantage of a bedroom with a calm and cozy appearance is that you are able to get good sleep at night. Like cool colors, muffled ones are also suitable alternatives for making the room appear larger. If you want to add a romantic touch to your bedroom, the best option is to apply a moonlight color scheme. The moonlight color scheme may include black, versatile tones of gray and purple, and also deep tones of magenta.

I still don't know if I lean cool or warm, but I will study on it.  Melissa said that gray is the new beige.  She loves to paint and has offered to help me.  What a good friend:-)  In my next post I hope to visit the paint store and just look at some options.
Have a great day everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)
Oh by the way, Brodie says Hi


2 comments:

  1. OOOOHHH... I love color talk! Hmmm. If it were me, I would choose a warm color. In fact, at our "big" house that we decorated top to bottom, about 70% was in shades of gold...very dramatic. We also got to decorate a beach condo, and instead of pale blue, we chose, you guessed it... variations on gold, with some faux painting on the fireplace and some accent walls. Yes, we even had big palms faux painted down the entrance hall. It may be too cute for most folks, but for us, it felt really fun!

    I can see plusses in all the rooms you picked out. Cooler colors relax you and make you feel as if you're by a cool stream. Warmer colors get you going every morning....maybe that's why we chose them. We need help getting going!

    Good luck! And Happy Color Chatting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that gray bed and am going to do my bed (currently in the garage awaiting a decision) that color. Thanks for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete