Marine Corp Marathon 2010

On Sunday Oct 31, 2010 I found myself a spectator at the 35th Annual Marine Corp Marathon in DC.  There were over 30,000 runners signed up from 50 states and 40 countries.  Both Joe and Josh were running.  It was my first time at such an event and I was excited to be part of it.
Here are a couple of pictures I found on line that give you an idea of the enormity of this day.....














I'm sure it would take all day to fill you in on the months and months of prep that went into this from Joe and Josh's perspective. So I will just give you my view of the day.
The night before the race...."Carb Loading"  Off to any pizza place we could find.  Hundreds of other Marathon hopefulls had the same idea.  The lines and waits for tables in all the Italian restaurants we came across were extremely long.  (Its odd how all the Mexican Restaurants right beside them sat vacant:-)  So we waited.  Finally got a table and the carb loading began.  (I didn't need it but I did a bit of carb loading myself, pizza and a glass of wine....yum:-)
We made it back to the hotel after a wonderful meal.  The guys were in the zone.  They were getting all their things together for the big race in the morning.  As I watched them....I realized they both had their own style.....

Joe's running gear, set out exactly as he will wear it.

Josh's things, nice and neat, just like a Marine.


































Up at 5:30am.  The guys had to catch the Metro and head to the starting line.
They both looked eager to get started.















There were several hours before the start of the race so Steph and I took our time.  We went for breakfast, finished a poster that Steph had made, and packed up some treats for the guys hoping we were lucky enough to see them along the 26.2 mile course. Then we made our way to the Metro. 

Various snacks for energy boosts.   Also "Glide" to prevent unwanted, running long distance, irritations.





Stephanie's poster, made with love:-)


We made our way to the 10 mile point.....Sights along the way...




















Stephanie, my fearless leader in the big city. 





We made it to the 10 mile mark. The area was packed with people.  We had to scale concrete walls, about 3ft tall, and dodge runners to get to a point where hopefully we would meet up with Josh and Joe.  It was Halloween so many of the runners were in costume.  












Josh at the 10 mile mark. 
Looking good!

Refueling  
Somehow we missed Joe:-(

Now off to mile 16 to try to find Joe...
 I liked this sign.  I heard one of the runners say,
"I didn't know there were zombies!"
 Joe at mile 16, still smiling:-)
Poor guy center right did not use his "Glide"
Ouch! 
 Steph and I ran in a desperate attempt to be at the finish line when they guys came in.  We were not successful.  There were so many people that getting even close was impossible.  They guys had to call us on their cell phones when they finished, and even then it was difficult to find each other.  
Some interesting things we saw along the way...
*Lots of snipers on rooftops.  They were out in force due to several shootings, from the same high powered rifle, at Marine Corp type buildings in the DC area in the last few weeks.  The concern was a build up to some type of attack at the Marathon.
*Fun posters to cheer on the runners.
*I saw an adult handicapped person in a wheelchair of sorts being pushed by I guess his Dad in the Marathon. 
*Joe said he saw a double amputee racing in a wheel chair.  He was surrounded by several Marines, 2 of them carrying the athlete's prosthetic legs in their packs.  
*Thousands of runners and thousands of supporters cheering each competitor unto victory.  Pretty neat!

So how were Joe and Josh you ask?  They both finished and they both looked great!! 















The guys were tired yet starved that evening.  We returned to the street with the Italian Restaurants but that night we decided to eat Mexican.














It was a bit odd walking to the Restaurant that night. We saw many folks that appeared disabled.  Some were limping and occasional moans were heard.  On any other day this would have been unnerving. But on this night we would just give them a nod of understanding and a smile of encouragement knowing it was a fellow brave soul that had just run the Marine Corp Marathon.

I am really proud of you Joe and Josh!!!
Enjoy your world everyone:-)


Comments

  1. Very cool story! I loved the pics of the costumed people running. I have really enjoyed training for marathons, as well. My dad being the Army man that he is, taught us early to run, and be in shape. I found you through the Girl Creative & Trendy Treehouse. Have a great weekend! Stop on by sometime, if you get bored and want some weirdness to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Marathons rock. Hi! I am a new follower from Friday's blog hops. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. Blessings...
    Saved By Love Creations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York