Kathiey's Book Review "The Frozen Water Trade A True Story" by Gavin Weightman

I finished this book several weeks ago.  I have spent some time trying to figure out how to apply it to my life, as I try to do with all the books I read.  There were many ways this could have nicely gone, but I had to be practical:-)
We take so much for granted in our lives.  One of those things is ice.  Ice has always been at our fingertips right?  Not so.  For all the things we enjoy someone had to be creative and many times sacrifice to see their creativity come to life.   We can thank Frederic Tudor for making his dream come to life and for starting the ice trade back in 1805.

 Frederic believed that he could become rich from harvesting ice from frozen lakes and rivers in the American North East.  He felt he could develop ways to transport and store his ice to areas in the South such as Charleston and even the islands in the Caribbean.
Through trial and error and many years of sacrifice he was able to do just that.
So how can I apply this taste of history to my life......?

I could travel to the Caribbean as Frederic did.  He brought ice to many of the islands.
(He eventually even traveled further with his product.  He took ice successfully to Calcutta.  I don't feel the need to go there:-)

Yes I could travel to the Caribbean. I could enjoy an iced cold tropical drink in the heat of the day.
(Steph, Erica and I, Turks & Caicos Islands 2009)


Joe and I went to the Dominican Republic in 2008.  That is me enjoying my iced drink ( I think there was a bit of rum in there too:-)
So should I go to the islands in honor of the book?  I would love to, and I am thankful I have been there before, but sadly it is not in the current budget.


I could go to Charleston where Frederic was known to sell his ice.  I love Charleston.  I have been twice, beautiful city!  I recommend the French Quarter Inn.  I could go there....and I am thankful I have been there before, but sadly it is not in the current budget.

So just what is in the budget I ask myself?  Frederic was known to make ice cream using his ice.  Thats it! I could go out and buy an ice cream maker and learn how to make various flavors of ice cream.  Sadly, that too is not in my current budget.


Today as Brodie and I were taking a walk in this oppressive heat it came to me.  I know what I can do based on the book that is in my current budget and that I needed desperately as I find myself drenched from our walk...

I can make some fresh squeezed lemonade and pour it over ice.  I can also enjoy the Charleston street scene painted on the planter in the background of the photo.  (We bought it in Charleston several years ago.  So it is kinda like being there:-)

Oh, before I forget.  I would give this book a 7/10 on my reading scale.  It was all history so a bit dry at times but very interesting and informative.

Happy Reading Everyone:-)


As for Bordie. He was not interested in the lemonade.  He fell asleep.

Enjoy your world everyone!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

Recipe Review...."Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread" from Southern Living

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York