Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kathieys Book Review "Bread Alone"

I have finished the book "Bread Alone" by Judith Ryan Hendricks.  I was motivated by this book to dust off my bread machine & to bake bread and cinnamon rolls, as you have seen my previous posts (check out the recipe links).  I also plan  to go out and buy a new rolling pin and learn the proper way to clean it, as well as research and buy a book on baking bread......Sadly this will all have to wait until my next paycheck:-)


I decided to take a chance and bake one of the recipes in the book.  I chose the recipe on page 142 "Oma's Sugar Cookies".  Since the book was fiction I was not sure how accurate the recipe would be but I jumped in anyway.  I did cheat a bit:-)  It said to knead the dough for 15-20 minutes, I think I did for about 5.  I decided to use the glaze on half of the cookies and leave the other half plain.  They actually turned out pretty good.  I would probably give them a 7 out of 10 on my cooking scale.  I would glaze them all if I decide to make them again.

As far as my review of the book, I would probably give it a 7 out of 10 on my book scale.  It was enjoyable.  I was interested in the lives of the characters.  I would not call it a life changing book or one I could not put down.  The one thing I would change about it would be the intimate details....a little too much detail for my taste.  Don't get me wrong it was not graphic but I am one that likes to leave most of these type of encounters to my PG rated imagination:-)
I am always looking for new words for my limited vocabulary when I am reading a new book.  I came across the word aplomb.  It means  "self-confidence, or assurance esp. when in a demanding situation".   So here goes.............Kathiey baked her bread with great aplomb:-)  Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment