"Bread Alone"...Part 2....Making the bread

Well as you know, if you have been following this blog, I am reading a book called "Bread Alone".
Reading this book has inspired me to use my bread machine which has been collecting dust for years.

I have now tried the two recipes that I had mentioned in my previous post.  I started with Amish Bread.  I place all the ingredients in the bread machine and let it do its work.  It was "ok".  I think next time I will give it a double rise time and then bake it in the oven.  I was not crazy about "the cube" effect that you get with the machine. I probably will not make it again.

From there I moved on to more interesting things....cinnamon rolls. I found the recipe at All Recipes.


Clone of a Cinnabon


Ingredients

  • 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup margarine, melted
  • 4 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
  •  
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  •  
  • 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
  2. After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
  3. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  4. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.




I placed the ingredients in the machine and pushed the dough option.
I decided to give the dough lots of time to rise......I was stunned to find that yes it did rise,  right out of the machine:-)

Next I placed the dough on a floured surface and let it rise some more.

Then I put everything together cut them to the desired width  and put them in a glass dish (recomended by a review on allrecipes) and guess what?  I let them rise again.

Then I baked them as directed.  Mixed up a double batch of icing. ( I found the icing to be extremely thick so I added just a touch of milk to establish a good spreading consistency and spread them over the warm rolls.  They tasted amazing.  I would have to give them a 9-10 on a scale of 1-10:-)  I think they are even better the next day, just put them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and enjoy with a cup of coffee or glass of milk.  I think I will make these every Easter.

Happy Cooking Everyone!
Enjoy Your World:-)


Comments

  1. Hi Kathiey,
    Your Blog is lovely...are you having fun with it? The bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nikon CoolPix P510 Lesson in Aperture

A Visit to Burntshirt Vineyards in Hendersonville NC

Dr. Frank's Winery Hammondsport, New York